I don't know about you guys, but this time of year - less sunshine, colder temperatures, all of the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, etc... - I often find myself slipping into a more negative state of mind that usual. Season Affective Disorder is real and those winter blues can bring on some really unhealthy habits and depression.
On top of that, #momlife has been crazy lately with my kiddo trying (successfully, most days) to give up her daily nap and just being even more attached to me than usual. I'm human, and get down on myself and into a funk when I'm not accomplishing as much as I'd like to or things are going quite as smoothly as one would hope!
So, to combat those yucky feelings, when I notice that I’m starting to feel a bit down or anxious or unsure of what’s to come, and just generally a bit bummed, I like to make a “happy list” to help shift my mindset. It’s something to change my mood and turn my thoughts to positive ones instead of negative. It is a total game changer! I mean... it always helps to look on the bright side of life and focus on the happy and the joy and the things we are grateful for, instead of the things that maybe aren't going quite as we had planned.
Here’s a little happy list, because I needed a pick-me-up today after a longggg hard day of momming yesterday, and this should do just the trick…
- The extra snuggles I've been getting with my girl lately
- The hubs helping with dinner
- Chasing my girl around the kitchen island all day, just to hear those sweet giggles
- Days with no potty accidents
- Brunch with my girlfriends
- Laughing until I cry at silly movies like Bad Moms 2... have you seen it yet?
- Hustle juice in the mornings after nights of little sleep (or just ANY time!)
- Watching a Christmas movie each night together as a family
- Forehead kisses and BIG hugs
- My virtual boot campers lifting each other up and cheering each other on #proudcoach
- Pumpkin cookies with cream cheese frosting (we may or may not have eaten the whole batch I made in two days. #balance)
- Having a clean house and fresh sheets (possibly because my kiddo wet the bed for the second time this week and they had to be changed...again. Change of perspective!)
- Working up a good sweat each day...because "exercise gives you endorphins and endorphins make you happy!"
- Impromptu family dance parties
- Puppy dogs who follow me everywhere, sleep on my feet, and who are ALWAYS happy to see me
- Daily chats with my virtual #momtribe
What’s on your happy list today??
I encourage you to just take a little time to yourself to just start listing them out. With each entry, your heart opens more and your mood lifts...it's like MAGIC!
Have a wonderful week, my friends!